Tuesday, February 25

WINTER'S TALE



The Film Fatales bundle up for a terrible Winter’s Tale 

Winter’s Tale. 2014. PG-13. 118 minutes. Starring Colin Farrell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Russell Crowe, William Hurt, Jennifer Connelly, Graham Greene, Will Smith. Directed by Akiva Goldsman.

A burglar falls for an heiress as she dies in his arms. When he learns that he has the gift of reincarnation, he sets out to save her. [IMDb]

Nicole: I can sum up this movie in one single word: Silly. Normally, I’m a sucker for this crap. I love a good period piece, especially a romantic period piece. But, the trailer really didn’t do expectant audiences any justice whatsoever. What was billed as something akin to Doctor Zhivago was actually more along the lines of The Neverending Story (pun intended).

elizabeth: I heard the book was really good. In fact, I know someone who wants to read it.


Nicole: I’m not sure if the book that inspired this film is any better at explaining the rather convoluted and very unbelievable plot (with so many holes it might as well have been filmed on Swiss cheese and not celluloid), but it can’t stand on its own. The idea that within each of us is a single miracle that is meant to change another person’s life (and by default the world) is a beautiful concept. But had they stopped there and not added in the whole good vs. evil face-off (with Crowe as a very unconvincing and underdeveloped demon and Will Smith as a horrendously miscast Lucifer), the film would have been much better off.


elizabeth: I hear the book is well written and you can pick your own actors to play the parts. Sounds like a win/win deal to me. Your whining is leaning on my last nerve.

Nicole: Oh, fine. Here’s something positive. I will say that the chemistry between Farrell and Brown Findlay (of Downton Abbey fame) was believable. And, Farrell, who carried the weight of the movie on his shoulders, did a fine job despite this rather ridiculous “tale.” Ooh, I really woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, didn’t I?


elizabeth:  “Hello Amazon? Yes, it’s me. I know I am behind my time today, but can I please get a copy of ‘Winter’s Tale’ and can you please send it to Nicole? Right now would be good. You can hand deliver this to her, right? You can. God bless.”

The Film Fatales give WINTER’S TALE

3 comments:

  1. I TOLD YOU THIS WAS GONNA SUCK!!!!!!!! LOL

    --Nuray

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you were so right. But the previews made it look all lovely and romantic. Wrong again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, you said it. I shoulda listened.

    ReplyDelete