Friday, February 14

THOR: THE DARK WORLD - On DVD and On Demand

By the hammer of Thor…The Dark World is one good movie. 


Thor: The Dark World. 2013. On DVD and On Demand February 25, 2014. Rated PG-13. 112 minutes. Starring Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Stellan Skarsgard, Chris O’Dowd. Directed by Alan Taylor.  

Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all. [imdb] 





Nicole: It was going to take a lot for this second installment of Marvel's Thor series to wow me. The first movie rocked my world so damn much, naturally my expectations were set high. But Thor: The Dark World did not disappoint. Hell, I was transported into that glorious Asgardian world again as if the Bifrost had just jettisoned my ass into each of the Nine Realms.  

elizabeth: You know, I get the same feeling when I stare into the sun.



Nicole: Wear sunglasses. Kenneth Branagh (yes, he of copious genius Shakespearan adaptation fame) did such an amazing job with the first movie, I wasn't sure if Alan Taylor was going to be able to meet the challenge. Wrong! He met it with equal artistic ability and respect for all the eager fanboys and fangirls who were breathlessly awaiting this sequel. This time around, Asgard is beset by the icy villain Dark Elf Malekith, who is looking to seek revenge and lay claim to the universe by absorbing the Aether (a self-possessing weapon of epic proportions). Thor's earthly love, Dr. Jane Foster, is brought into the mix, travels with Thor to Asgard, and all hell breaks loose. Loved ones die (not telling), bastions crumble (mum is the word) and Thor has no choice but to enlist the help of his imprisoned and estranged "brother" Loki. (A word about Loki...he's not in this movie nearly enough for my liking, although the trailers would have you believe otherwise.) 



elizabeth: I have no idea what you just said.  You got to stop going to these movies. I don’t know you anymore. 

Nicole: If loving these movies is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. Chris Hemsworth is remarkable as Thor, but for me (and I suspect many, many others) the show is all but stolen by Tom Hiddleston's Loki. (Don’t judge me: I prefer my men pasty and bookishly British, appearing as though they’re recovering from some water-borne disease such as Cholera.) Hiddleston is the quintessential villain you love to hate. He is so good, in fact, you don't hate him...you love him--despite all the evil that exists within his dark soul. The chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hemsworth is palpable this time around, more so than the last. Even more is at stake now. (Stay tuned for the end of the credits... Though chaste in its construction, I assure you ladies, you will need a cigarette.) 


elizabeth: Can I just go to the ending first? I was always such a cheap date. 

Nicole: Hey, you said it. I didn’t. I say grab your Mjolnir as fast as you possibly can and get yourself to a showing to Thor: The Dark World. You can thank me later. (Oh, and Cassidy...there's only so much longer you can work your way out of not seeing these superhero flicks... Why? Your wish has been granted. Robert Redford is set to appear in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, due out in April. So there. Pfft.) 



elizabeth: No! Not Hubbell Gardner in Captain America. I am going to grab my Mjolnir and beat you with it. You are making that up, right? If he needs the money, send him some. If he needs me, I will find a way to get to him. Perhaps Thor or Loki can help me? Whatever.

  
The Film Fatales give Thor: The Dark World 

Blu-Ray Special Features include:
  • Never-Before-Seen Extended and Deleted Scenes 
  • Gag Reel
  • Exclusive Look - Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" 
  • A Brother's Journey: Thor & Loki
  • Scoring Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World" with Brian Tyler
  • Audio Commentary with Director Alan Taylor, Producer Kevin Feige, Actor Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Cinematographer Kramer Morgenthau
 

No comments:

Post a Comment