Friday, June 6

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS



The Film Fatales run out of tissues and use the theater cushions to soak up their tears... 

The Fault in Our Stars. Rated PG-13. 125 minutes. Starring Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Willen Defoe, and Laura Dern. 


Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group. [IMDb]




Nicole: Elizabeth can attest that for about 80% of this movie I was a slobbering mess and a distinct displeasure to be seated next to. After all, I knew this would happen; I couldn’t make it through the trailer without bawling like a maniac. I was miserable afterward, too; unable to shake the emotions and my eyes were puffy for a solid day-and-a-half. That being said, I want to stress that this is a terrific movie, filled with wonderful performances, which should be seen. Just have plenty of tissues on hand...and chocolate. You’ll need lots of chocolate.

elizabeth: I have to say that I wanted to see this movie, but had reservations since it is about two teens and I wondered if the people involved could make a movie about two teens  relevant to all who come to sit in the dark for over two hours. They did. The storyline is just miserable. It makes you think about how unfair life is. But then you witness the love of life that Hazel (Woodley) and Gus (Elgort) have and you realize this is life. It is not always fair, but we are here for only a blink of the eye, so what would you do if you knew that life could end before the next sunrise? Most people live like they have time to do everything – thus the stupid bucket list came to life. Don’t make a damn list. Just do it. For the record, I did tear up a little. But I get it – this is life. Life sucks sometimes. Who says we get 80-plus years? Plus, I had to keep an eye on Nicole. I was afraid I was going to have to call for back up.


Nicole: Back up would have been nice; I needed to be mopped up the floor. For the record: Hazel has cancer. Hazel is terminal stage 4. And, her odds are anything but good. This is not the feel-good movie of the year. Things in Hazel’s emotional life improve dramatically when she meets Gus, who despite losing his leg to the cancer, retains a thoroughly infectious positive outlook on life. Gus, who is in remission, shows Hazel how to grab the most out of life with what little time they’re given…and thus they fall in love so sweetly that it will melt your heart. I will leave it there, because if you haven’t read the book or seen the movie, you should let this movie happen to you. It should make you angry. It should make you sad. It should make you think. It should make you reevaluate life. And, it should make you count your blessings. There’s no telling the amount of emotions you’ll feel watching this movie – but you will be made better for having seen it. OK? OK. 


elizabeth: Besides all the messages that run through this movie, it is well-written and well-acted. Kudos to author John Green for such a tender storyline that  really did come to life thanks to all who took a chance and starred in this movie. I was so impressed with Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. Two young actors who really brought home the message of the movie. I just hope that they continue to get scripts like this. I am begging them to not appear in Porkys #48. Bring tissues? Yes. But also know that this is a celebration of life. As Auntie Mame once declared: “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!” I believe Hazel and Gus would concur.

The Film Fatales give THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment