Sunday, January 19

The Film Fatales do the Golden Globes



(c) HFPA and Golden Globes

Nicole: For Cassidy and I, Award Show Season is like our Super Bowl and what better way to get the party started than with the 71st Annual Golden Globes? 

elizabeth: Yes, I took the family jewels out of the vault just in case some reporter from E! was looking in my window.

Nicole: By far, my favorite moment of the night came from Emma Thompson, who presented Best Screenplay barefoot, Louboutins and martini in hand. Thanks for keeping it real, Emma. 

elizabeth: Yes, I do believe Ms. Thompson was shaken and not stirred. I thought she showed that women of a certain age can still kick out the jams. All in all, a happy occasion is when alcohol is served in abundance. Why were our cries for invites so rudely ignored?

Nicole: Just where do they get off? Well, let's try to be big about this and discuss the Film Categories nonetheless.

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes

Nicole: No surprise Lawrence took this home. Everyone’s smitten by Hollywood’s new darling...despite that terrible Dior dress.

elizabeth: I admire Jennifer since she keeps it so real on and off the screen.  She is like a breath of fresh air and she proves that one does not have to sell off one’s soul for a movie role.

Best Actress: Comedy
Amy Adams, American Hustle
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: How, how, how does Adams beat Streep? It seems like a scientific impossibility that anyone could possible beat that August Osage County performance.

elizabeth: As much as I like Amy Adams and her talents, this win better not be a sign that women of a certain age are being phased out.  Don’t make me throw one of my sensible shoes at you.

Best Supporting Actor
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: Leto deserved it for his portrayal of Rayon: enough said. 

elizabeth: Jared Leto’s portrayal of  Rayon was one of the best performances I have seen in ages. He so deserved the Globe because he made you fall hard for this HIV-positive transsexual woman who showed so much dignity and compassion.

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity

Nicole: I’m still queasy from seeing Gravity. And just why the hell was Clooney not at the Globes? Is he still drifting in space...rather than spend another second with a woman in his age group, as Tina Fey so correctly put it.

elizabeth: My head and stomach stopped spinning once they started to roll the credits. I don’t think I like having to depend on a barf bag to get through a movie – even a movie with George Clooney in it. Although he can hold my head any time.

Best Actor: Comedy
Leonardo DiCaprio, Wolf of Wall Street
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: Three hours of F this and F that apparently earns a globe.

elizabeth: I feel an F-bomb coming on. I need a certain number of naughty words to get me through the day, but come on, 506 of them in 3 hours. Whoever counted them deserves a Golden Globe.

Best Picture: Comedy
American Hustle

Nicole: Do you have to know how to do The Hustle before seeing this film? Or have had at least one bad perm? ‘Cause I can safely check both those off the list.

elizabeth: Thank God they don’t have a category for bad hair and bad clothes ‘cuz this film would have won that Globe hands down. It ain’t pretty.

Best Actress: Drama
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: Cate, no contest, and she looked divine in Armani.  

elizabeth: Kate was so great in this role that I went home and started drinking.

Best Actor: Drama
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: Ugh, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did McConaughey win? It’s not that I dislike his acting. I just hated this movie so, so much.

elizabeth: I had to live thru AIDS and the lost of good friends in the 1980s and beyond so maybe my battle scars hurt when I see someone like McConaughey’s character win a golden globe. I do believe people can change, but I was not buying it in this movie.

Best Picture: Drama
Twelve Years a Slave
 
(c) HFPA and Golden Globes
Nicole: How did we let this one pass us by? Must correct that mistake soon!

elizabeth: They are re-releasing this movie so we can get to see what brilliant movie making is all about.  I hate that life won’t give us the time to see all the movies we want to see.  Now, if I ruled the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment