Saturday, August 30

August DVD & On Demand Releases a la The Film Fatales

Now available on DVD, Blu-Ray & On Demand...


SUMMER IN FEBRUARY:
Read the entire review at our home across the pond, SMITTEN BY BRITAIN...


2013. NR. 100 minutes. Starring Dominic Cooper, Dan Stevens and Emily Browning. Directed by Christopher Menaul.
Based on Jonathan Smith’s novel about love and loss among a bohemian colony of artists, which flourished in the wild coastal region of Cornwall before the First World War.  [Metrodome Distribution]

Nicole: I do love a good period piece…unfortunately, not this one. Summer in February had the potential to be one of those sweeping, moody, gripping period pieces that draw you in…were it not for its slowly-timed and unorganized script. The true tale that inspired this film has everything – passion, love, betrayal, death – and yet, despite all of those elements it failed to hold my attention. 

Elizabeth: I think I was a tad disappointed with the film until I realized at the end that these characters were not from someone’s imagination, but that they really existed and impacted each other’s lives and deaths. I must say I wanted to watch the move all over again. I think my annoyance would have been quieted if I had known that Florence Carter-Wood’s inability to choose a lover was for real and not from a bad screenplay. I wanted to slap her about the room.


BELLE
Read the entire review at our home across the pond, SMITTEN BY BRITAIN.

2013. Rated: PG. 104 minutes. Starring:  Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Matthew Goode, Emily Watson, Tom Wilkinson, Miranda Richardson, Tom Felton, Sam Reid. Directed by Amma Assante
 

An illegitimate mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral is raised by her aristocratic great-uncle. (IMDb)

Everything about Belle, Amma Assante’s romantic and political period piece, is mesmerizing. It must be stated, however, that a tremendous amount of artistic license was taken with respect to the script. It is not historically accurate, except on the vaguest of levels. Nonetheless, this film doesn’t lack merit because it alters events to tell a compelling story.

No comments:

Post a Comment