Sunday, December 29

About Time



The best movie of 2013 you all forgot to see.



2013. Rated R. 123 minutes. Starring Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, and Bill Nighy. Written and directed by Richard Curtis.



At the age of 21, Tim discovers he can travel in time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. His decision to make his world a better place by getting a girlfriend turns out not to be as easy as you might think. [imdb] 








Nicole. Occasionally, a movie comes along that revives you and reestablishes your faith in the art of storytelling. About Time is that movie. Richard Curtis, the creative mind that brought audiences Love, Actually and About a Boy (neither of which I enjoyed a great deal), weaves a magical tale about time travel. While the plot should be hokey and corny and saccharine, it's actually thought provoking, bittersweet and moving (as long as you suspend belief in the established rules of time travel). Naysayers will call me a hopeless romantic who is a giant sap to love a movie like this; I say stuff it. If loving this movie means I'm sentimental, call me a sentimental fool…a whimpering, simpering sentimental fool—as Cassidy and her stash of tissues can attest. 


elizabeth: What a second. You did not adore Love, Actually and About a Boy? Well, Missy, as you like to call me, you don’t get into the Richard Curtis fan club. In fact, give me back all those tissues you confiscated from me. Let me just ask you this: how can you be a romantic sap and diss 2 out of 3 of Curtis’ homage to love, sucking face and having your toes curl without a vampire in sight? I don’t know you anymore. 

Nicole: I don’t like vampires… I like elves and dwarves and superheroes. Get it straight. I’m a fan of Curtis’ other work (The Vicar of Dibley, Bridget Jones’ Diary, Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral..need I go on?) But those two were just “meh” for me. So sue me.



elizabeth: While I did not turn into a whimpering, simpering sentimental fool like someone I know, I was really looking forward to a movie that celebrates love, passion, humor, family and life and death. I longed for clever dialogue and secret glances that said more than a screenplay about men with pointed ears who live in caves. About Time is a movie that you all forgot to go see. Hello? Are you all still stuck in outer space with Bullock and Clooney? The universe gave us all a kiss on our lips with this little film and yet you all wanted bigger and louder and more violent films. Shame on you. 

Nicole. Did you think I missed the dig about men with pointy ears who live in caves? I didn’t. Don’t start your car tonight… I agree – this should have been a hit. Hopefully it will be on DVD. At its core, About Time has a clear message about life that I won't reveal, because you should see it and let it dawn on you. It's a very satisfying “aha” moment without being preachy. 



elizabeth: I loved the chemistry and the dance of seduction between Rachel McAdams’ Mary and Domhnall Gleeson’s Tim. It was just the right mix of tenderness (corny not apply), humor and a deep devotion to each other. You know what? I loved the love that each character had for each other. You felt it. One knockout role is that of Uncle D played brilliantly by Richard Cordery. By the end of the movie, I was ready to put myself up for adoption with the hope that this family would embrace me into their lives.
 

Nicole: That’s a lovely sentiment—even if it does come from you. The cast is wonderful overall, but Bill Nighy, McAdams and Gleeson standout for me. It's hard to deny Bill Nighy's gravitational pull. Try to dislike him in anything, I dare you. As the patriarch of an unusual family, in which the male lineage is capable of traveling through time to re-experience pivotal moments in their lives, he is a pure joy to watch. The chemistry between McAdams and Gleeson is palpable. They are adorably matched and light up together on the screen. If you missed About Time in the theaters, fret not, it's out on DVD this February. And when that time comes, rush to rent it. You won't be sorry you did.

elizabeth: I can be lovely and sentimental, but not at the same time. All I can say is shame on the public for letting this movie slip out of your hands. You missed a gem. 

The Film Fatales give ABOUT TIME
 (and it's wonderful soundtrack...)

No comments:

Post a Comment